The utilization of essential oils for treating children and adults is the same and it dates back to many centuries. Therefore, there are a few old reliable choices when the matter comes to essential oils for the babies:
- Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil is considered one of the best essential oils for your baby’s skincare. If you are to test different baby skin care products, then this oil would be topping the list of ingredients because of the wonderful effects it creates on your baby’s skin. Additionally, it is very gentle and doesn’t cause any harm. Besides contributing to a healthier skin, it can also be used for treating diaper rashes.
- Almond oil – This is another well-known oil for using on babies. According to aroma therapists, almond oil is excellent for babies and it is proper for regular use, particularly for skin care. This oil helps in preventing some skin conditions and other types of irritation. For experiencing its benefits, you must apply this oil before bathing your child.
- Rosemary oil – This oil is well-known for cooking but it is useful for babies too. Just like almond oil, rosemary oil is safe for use as the regular massage oil. Rosemary can propose a couple of benefits for your baby; it prevents skin diseases and maintains healthier looking skin.
Some effective essential oils
- Chamomile – Roman chamomile and German chamomile are mild essential oils which can do a lot of good to those babies who confront problems in sleeping. Chamomile is armed with natural soothing impacts and it is used for treating insomnia. Again, when this oil is mixed with lavender, then it can relieve the signs of colic, depression, and anxiety.
- Distilled lemon – Distilled lemon is another popular calm baby essential oil, as it can lift a baby’s mood and energy and distilled lemon are more preferred than expressed lemon.
- Dill – Dill is considered antispasmodic and calming oil which can help in soothing digestion. For use, you can dilute one drop of it in a teaspoon of oil or water and blend thoroughly for massing it on your baby’s skin.
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus is viewed as a natural expectorant which can aid in unclogging a baby’s respiratory congestion. Due to this reason; it is one of the preferred oils for using during the winter months.
- Lavender – Lavender is armed with many sedative and calming effects. A lavender oil massage helps in relaxing a fussy baby and putting him to sleep. In addition, it is used for insect bites and it lessens itchiness.
Some important points
Before you apply pure essential oils on your baby, you must perform a patch test. For this, you can apply a very little quantity of diluted essential oil to your baby’s arm or leg. After this, you should wait for an entire day to notice if there is any reaction. If you notice any reaction, then you must discontinue its use. A reaction would cause inflammation, redness, or it would be painful to touch. But, if you notice no reaction, then you can carry on with your use of essential oils. However, based on the version of NAHA, wintergreen or birch should be avoided on babies as they are rich in peppermint and methyl salicylate.